For persons at advanced level, there are multiple options when it comes to the best workout routine but a customized workout routine can serve the purpose. Once you are among the advanced level trainers in the gym, addition in frequency and extra intensity are the only ways to gain further muscles. The frequency, or you may say volume of training, is added by performing extra sets and repetitions while enhanced intensity is achieved by adding extra weight on the bar.
Thus, customized workout routine becomes essential for continuous muscle growth. This blog has already discussed workout routines for beginners and the ultimate workout routine for those who have been performing well enough at training to be considered at intermediate level. Read more on workout plan for intermediate 4 Days/Week Ultimate Workout Plan: Intermediates.
Please go ahead and visit these links if you are looking for the best alternate day workout plan for beginners or a more intense but customized workout routine for intermediate level trainers.
Considerations: The Customized Workout Routine for Advanced Trainers
Continue, of course, if you possess enough training and exercise techniques or you enjoy consistent experience of training/workout of at least two years.
At advance levels, you must acknowledge the fact that muscle gains do not come as fast as they come at beginner or even intermediate levels. However, with consistent workouts specified for each muscle, a significant progress can be made. Unlike the 3 days workout plan for beginners and a 4-day ultimate workout routine for intermediate level trainers, this customized workout routine wants you in your gym for six days/week.
Things to Remember!
Before moving forward to the exact description, know that this customized workout routine is based on pull-push scheme. You will focus a certain muscle or muscle group twice in 6-days and it incorporates supersets to achieve hypertrophy i.e., the muscle growth.
Always keep in mind, this routine is customizable. You are free to increase/decrease sets, reps, add/reduce weights or bars from day to day or on weekly basis in order to achieve maximum output from this customizable workout routine. There should be required respite between sets and reps normally ranging from one to two minutes. Since this is the advanced level program, you will need a fully equipped gym near you with all the possible functionality.
1st Day of Customized Workout Routine: Advanced Level
- Call it Pull Day. The focus is back muscles, biceps and hamstring. For Back start with Pullups @ 3 sets with 12-15 reps follow it by barbell deadlifts @ 4 sets with 8-10 reps. Go for cable rows in seated position @ 3 sets with 12-15 reps. These can be added up with lateral pulldowns and face pulls @ 4 sets with 12-15 reps. So, customize it accordingly.
- For biceps, start with hammer curls @ 4-5 sets with 8-12 reps and then perform a superset of dumbbells shrugs at the same rate. Perform standing cable curls in addition to the above if your focus is on the biceps growth. Rea more on 21 Best Bicep Exercises.
2nd Day: Call it the Push Day
- The focus is on the chest and shoulders on day 2. Start by performing bench press (with flat barbells) @ 4-6 sets with 5-7 reps each. After the interval, perform inclined bench press (with dumbbells) and finally perform cable crossovers @ 3-5 sets with 12-15 reps.
- Now the shoulders! Start by performing 3 sets of seated dumbbell presses with 8-10 reps. Add 3-4 sets of triceps pushdowns with 12-15 reps and then superset of lateral raises @ 3 sets with 10-15 reps. Read more on Shoulder exercises in our blog titled Shoulder Workouts: 3 Best Shoulder Workout Routines.
3rd Day: Pull Day
- On the focus are the leg muscles on 3rd day of customized workout routine: Start performing deadlifts with adequate weight dumbbells @ 3-4 sets with 8-10 reps followed by leg presses @ 4 sets with 8-12 reps.
- Perform back squats @ 3-5 sets with 5-7 reps each. After the interval, go for seated calf raises in order to strengthen the calf muscles. Supersets of lying leg curls @ 3-5 sets with 10-15 reps.
- Mountain climb and decline crunches should be performed @ 4-5 sets with 12-15 repetitions in order to complete the second pull day.
4th Day: Pull Approach
- The focus on 4th day of customized workout routine will be Back and lower back muscles in order to strengthen the core and achieve required growth by performing at maximum limit. Start with pull ups (add weights: optional) @ 3 sets with 12-15 reps.
- 3 sets each of one arm rows, barbell rows (bent position), barbell shrugs with 3-5 sets each and 10-15 reps.
- For lower back, perform hyperextensions with dumbbells. Supersets of preacher curls @ 3-5 sets with 10-15 reps may be added if more focus is on traps and lower back.
5th Day: Push Approach
- Again, focus the chest and shoulder muscles. Start performing overhead dumbbells presses @ 5 sets with 5-8 reps. Go for dips after the interval (add weights: optional) for chest and triceps.
- Machine fly and bench press with dumbbells @ 4 sets with 10-15 reps are ideal for chest.
- For shoulders, lateral raises (single arm) and overhead extensions @ 4 sets each with 8-12 reps.
6th Day: Pull Approach
- Start with 4 sets of hanging leg raises @ 10-15 reps. The interval! Perform walking lunges with dumbbells @ 3-5 sets with 10-15 reps. Supersets of standing calf raises @ 3-5 sets with 10-15 reps.
- Moreover, front squats and glute ham raises @ 4 and 3 sets each with 5-8 reps for strengthening leg muscles.
As evident from the daily routine, this customized workout routine for advance level training is highly intense. It follows push-pull patterns by focusing certain muscles at a particular day and only provides respite for one day a week. Caution! Only have a go if you are having a certain level of skills in training and have sufficient experience as stated earlier.
The age factor is pretty crucial in the training scenario. It is said that after the 40 year of age, the muscle and bones start deteriorating. However, through careful and customized workout routines, not only the loss can be made up but muscles and bones can gain as well. therefore, select the exercises and weights quite technically considering the age factor as well.